NHS England has approved the merger of the Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) in the west of Berkshire. The four local CCGs, including North and West Reading, South Reading, Newbury and District and Wokingham will merge on 1st April 2018 and be called Berkshire West CCG.
Since the CCGs formation in 2013 the four CCGs have operated as a federated group, sharing the majority of the management team. Despite this federated way of working, running four separate CCGs has resulted in a lot of duplication and inefficiency. The CCGs now want to focus clinical and managerial leadership in supporting the new primary care Alliances that bring groups of GP practices together; develop joint working with Royal Berkshire Foundation Trust and Berkshire Healthcare Foundation Trust and continue to work with local authority partners to improve the way care is delivered to patients.
The CCGs have made good progress since they were established with all four being rated Outstanding by NHS England last year.
This merger has been fully supported by the fifty GP practices across the four CCGs and local partners such as the three multi agency Health and Well Being Boards. The new CCG will maintain a locality focus, in recognition of the differing health needs across the area, and will maintain close working relationships with GP practices, local authorities, Healthwatch and other stakeholders.
The Chair of the new CCG will be Dr Abid Irfan from Strawberry Hill Surgery in Newbury who was previously Chair of the Newbury and District CCG. Dr Cathy Winfield will remain as the Chief Officer.
On receiving approval for the merger, Dr Irfan said “I am delighted that the merger has now been fully approved and look forward to chairing the new Governing Body meetings. The merger will enable us to focus our time and resources, alongside our NHS and local authority partners to drive forward improvements in the way patient care is delivered across Berkshire West.”
From 1st April 2018 the Berkshire West CCG Governing Body Board Members will include:
- Dr Abid Irfan, GP Locality Lead, Newbury and District and Berkshire West CCG Chair
- Dr Andy Ciecierski' GP Locality Lead, North and West Reading
- Dr Debbie Milligan, GP Locality Lead, Wokingham
- Dr Kajal Patel, GP Locality Lead, South Reading
- Wendy Bower, Patient and Public Engagement Lay Member
- Geoffrey Braham, Governance Lay Member
- Saby Chetcuti, Governance Lay Member
- Dr Cathy Winfield, Chief Officer
- Sam Burrows, Director of Strategy
- Eleanor Mitchell, Operations Director, South Reading
- Maureen McCartney, Operations Director, North and West Reading
- Katie Summers, Operations Director, Wokingham
- Shairoz Claridge, Operations Director, Newbury and District
- Rebecca Clegg, Acting Chief Finance Officer
- Debbie Simmonds, Director of Nursing
- Gabrielle Alford, Director of Joint Commissioning
- Raju Reddy, Secondary Care Consultant