The safety and welfare of children and vulnerable adults is of paramount importance to South Reading Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).
We work diligently to ensure that all of the services we commission ensure high quality safe effective care.
You can download our Safeguarding Children and Adults at Risk Policy here.
The following measures ensure that safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults is given priority and is discharged effectively across the whole local health community through commissioning arrangements:
- Executive level CCG membership of the 3 Local Safeguarding Children Boards across Berkshire West and the combined Berkshire West Safeguarding Adult Partnership Board which ensures that safeguarding is at the forefront of service planning.
- Senior CCG membership on the Health and Wellbeing Board.
- Close collaboration with the Local Authority to assess and ensure the provision of co-ordinated integrated services to meet the needs of the local population, including specialist services for vulnerable groups.
- Ensuring that safeguarding children and adult strategies and associated policies are in place.
- Ensuring that providers of services are held to account through regular review of safeguarding arrangements through quality scrutiny processes.
- Designated Nurses and Doctors in post to offer professional expertise and advice regarding safeguarding matters.
Contact information for safeguarding support and advice and to make a safeguarding children or adult referral is available via the links below:
- Reading Borough Council – 0118 937 3641 (Office Hours Only)
- Wokingham Borough Council - 0118 908 8002 (office hours only)
- West Berkshire Borough Council - 01635 503090 (Office hours only)
- Out of Hours – Emergency Duty Team: 01344 786543.
- In emergencies, contact the police on 999.
NB: If the concern arises outside of normal office hours and you believe that a child may be at immediate risk of harm, please contact the Emergency Duty Team or the Police.
Organisations across Berkshire have worked together to develop Multiagency Procedures and Guidance for Children. These can be found here: www.proceduresonline.com/Berks
- Reading Borough Council - 0118 937 3747
- Wokingham Borough Council - 0118 974 6772
- West Berkshire Borough Council - 01635 519056
Any vulnerable adult can be at risk of abuse or harm. People can be abused in their own home, in residential and nursing homes, in day centres, at work, in hospitals, police stations and in public places. If you are concerned that an adult you know is being harmed or abused in any way please contact the Safeguarding Adults Team on the number above.
Organisations across Berkshire have worked together to develop Multiagency Procedures and Guidance for adults. These can be found here:
The West of Berkshire Safeguarding Adults Board, Communication Strategy is available to download here
Other Useful Contacts
- Childline: 0800 1111
- NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children): 0808 800 5000
- Parentline: 0808 800 2222
- Thames Valley Police: 101 for non-urgent calls
- Action on Elder Abuse 0808 808 8141 (10am - 4.30pm)
- Public Concern at Work 0207 404 6609 (9am - 6pm Mon - Fri)
- Carersline 0808 808 7777
Berkshire West CCGs Health Safeguarding Contacts
- Executive Lead Safeguarding (Nurse Director) Debbie Simmons – 0118 982 2892
- Named Professional Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults, Kathy Kelly - 0118 952 5328 or mobile: 07920 860047
- Named Professional Safeguarding Children Primary Care Elizabeth Stead - 0118 982 5435
- Designated Doctor Safeguarding Children Louise Watson - 01753 635611